#TIES17 Discussion

What do you guys want to talk about from TIES conference?

The Tonight Show and other sessions by Kasey Bell all at this link

I was really disappointed with the “Fake News” session: while I’ve always had some students into conspiracy theories, but in the last year I’m getting students seriously tossing around the “flat earth” idea. This is not about “critical thinking” skills, it’s about some social-emotional need to …??? I don’t know, but I’m really at a loss as a science teacher how to engage with this “anything I don’t like or don’t want to believe is FAKE” thing that’s erupting these days.

That Tuesday keynote (Jenny) was one of the best I’ve ever heard. It is hard to find ways to change up / better my science content teaching now that I’ve been doing the same stuff several years… ruts and all that. But I do have one story that I know is sticky, portable, etc. and I can imagine ways to get more stories connecting to content. Also, I could be up for the Gandalf approach of “arranging an adventure”. (No, I won’t be tossing over chairs looking for my lost dinosaur!)

I’ve been blown away be the amount of programming and computer science themed sessions. I think this might be the fastest growing discipline in all educational levels. It really makes me want to teach a computer science programming class next year! (I just found out that you don’t have to have a specific credential in MN to teach computer programming.)

1 Like

Anybody know anything about Summit Academy model for public schools? It came up in the Remix / Playlist session that I thought was really cool: every SECA core subject has at least 1 period where students are working at their own pace and I think it would be super helpful to have a “playlist” kind of model. I think this is where I’ll be focusing some of my innovation time.

1 Like

My favorite session was Mark Wallace’s “5 Steps to Student Autonomy”.

He is co-authoring a book coming out this summer entitled “Getting Things Done: for teens” based off of the David Allen book by the same name (minus the for teens).

He has a really great framework for helping students (and adults) sift through their thoughts and turn them into actionable items or file them away for later. I think this would be so beneficial for the students in my program due to the overloaded feelings many of them are carrying around with them.

The steps:

1. Capture (a mind-dump of all the things you having tossing around in your head): take two minutes to write all those things down.

2. Clarify (most important 21st Century skill?) : for each item, assess whether it is trash, a checklist, someday/maybe, reference, a next action, or a project. He has a whole flow chart to help students suss out where these items belong.

3. Organize (where do these items belong): physical holding places like folders, google drive organization, calendar, etc.

4. Reflect (what is the order of operation) : decide which tasks are to be done in what order

5. Engage (do the stuff)
    Repeat

We only go into steps 1-3 but it was really good stuff.

I am going to check out the in-print version for adults (of which the presenter was not affiliated) but I am pretty excited about helping my students build these types of executive functioning skills in the coming semester. It may be a great place to start for the new year.

Bonus inspirational video

2 Likes

If people do want books from TIES for further study, we can most likely get them. Let me know.

Dave Allen’s book on getting stuff done is really solid. Ben D refers to it a lot when he does SCRUM training. There is considerable overlap with some of the concepts.

And I liked the bonus inspirational video too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jake - I REALLY wish I would have caught that session. I saw Mark Wallace two years ago and it was a life changer. I read two books on his recommendation, Getting Things Done being one. I’ve given that book to 3 other people to read and I always mention it in my Scrum presentations. I need to connect with you about that session - bummed I missed out!

What was the other one? :squid:

Brain Chains, by Compernolle. I’ve referenced it in other threads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I didn’t necessarily hit a lot of Bingos on my session choices this year, I really appreciated the conference’s emphasis on “story” amplifying student voice. This is something I’ll be thinking about more as I feel like in my program and in my personal practice we’ve got a long way to grow.

On untold stories and counter-narratives, I learned of a couple pretty good sources of content at the conference: They are:

Story Corps - This was referenced in Monday’s keynote. Short little personal audio stories. It would be cool to introduce these to students and then have them create their own.

Global Oneness Project - There are some lesson plans with this stuff if you sign up. I watched one of the videos on the impact of gentrification on a low-income neighborhood in Seattle. Pretty relevant content and high quality, too.

On student voice, I was not aware of Flipgrid. Seems like a really great platform, especially for younger students.

I’d try getting the Fake News resources from tolerance.org. EasyBib also makes available their handouts under a CC license.

Check out the Virtual Tour… Why couldn’t I have heard of this last year as we worked on the ALC redesign??? It seems like research-based everything we could possibly want and it’s available for free!