Podcast Recommendations

Someone mentioned making a podcast thread the other day, so here it is.

Currently I am listening to Against the Rules

From the website:

Journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis (Liar’s Poker, Moneyball) takes a searing look at what’s happened to fairness—in financial markets, newsrooms, basketball games, courts of law, and much more. And he asks what’s happening to a world where everyone loves to hate the referee.

This podcast is the type that bounces from goofy to serious and is one of the more thought provoking and timely podcasts I’ve heard in a while. I can’t stop listening to it right now.

Another that I really enjoyed was More Perfect’s 27 The Most Perfect Album

More Perfect description:

Supreme Court decisions shape everything from marriage and money to public safety and sex. We know these are very important decisions we should all pay attention to – but they often feel untouchable and even unknowable. Radiolab 's first ever spin-off series, More Perfect , connects you to the decisions made inside the court’s hallowed halls, and explains what those rulings mean for “we the people” who exist far from the bench. More Perfect bypasses the wonkiness and tells stories behind some of the court’s biggest rulings.

The mini-series 27: The Most Perfect Album is a project which tells stories about each of the constitutional amendments and pairs each amendment with a musical artist who wrote a song to match the ideas of the amendment. Definitely a fun listen and probably even something a social studies teacher could tap into for their classroom use!

With summer approaching my daily commute (and thus my podcast time) is coming to an end, but I would love to hear what others are listening to right now!

Here is one serious recommendation and several silly ones.

The Dream is a limited run (11 episodes) podcast about multilevel marketing.
“What if we told you that with zero experience and only a few hundred dollars down, this podcast could change your life? Well, we’d be lying. This season on The Dream, Jane Marie dives into the world of pyramid schemes, multi-level marketing, and all the other businesses that require their members to recruit their nearest and dearest in hopes of a commission. Join us as we trace the path of get-rich schemes from Jane’s roots in rural Michigan all the way to the White House.”

The Adventure Zone is a “bimonthly comedy and adventure podcast based loosely upon the popular Dungeons & Dragons game series, along with other role-playing games.” I only wholeheartedly recommend the first arc (Balance) but that will get you nearly 70 episodes of adventure.

I love TV recap podcasts. They make me feel like I am watching with a community.

Until last week, A Storm of Spoilers was a Game of Thrones podcast. Now they are rebranding as The Storm: A Lost Rewatch Podcast. It’s a really smart and insightful team.

I also really like The West Wing Weekly:
“An episode-by-episode discussion of The West Wing, one of television’s most beloved shows, co-hosted by one of its stars, Joshua Malina, along with Hrishikesh Hirway of Song Exploder.”. If, like me, you have seen every episode of The West Wing 10 times, you can jump right in. If not, well, that’s what summer is for.

1 Like

Invisibilia Season 4 is pretty fantastic. It’s a podcast from NPR about the “Unseeable forces [that] control human behavior and shape our ideas, beliefs, and assumptions.”

I’ve also been enjoying “Reply All,” which is a technology-focused Podcast. Some episodes to get you started are “#130 The Snapchat Thief,” “#136 The Roman Mars Mazda Virus,” and “#102 Long Distance.”

2 Likes

+1 to Invisibilia

I’ll second Alex about Reply All which is dubbed as a “podcast about the internet,” but is really a lot more than that. It’s one part whimsical stuff from Twitter but another part super-deep investigative journalism about a variety of current interesting topics. I always feel like I have a ton of stuff to talk about after listening to one. One disclaimer here is that about 1/4 episodes is not very good…but the other 3/4 are GREAT. For that reason, I’ll share a few of the episodes that have really stuck with me:

1. #132 Negative Mount Pleasant - this episode takes a long and personal look at the “Foxconn in Wisconsin” story. The investigative journalism here is incredible. Way more interesting than anything you’ll read in the paper about this topic.

2. #130 The Snapchat Thief - this is an episode that might be interesting and relevant to teenagers. Starts with a Snapchat user getting her account stolen and takes you down a long, dark road of identity/credential theft. They interview some hackers and stuff. This episode is great.

3. #127 & 128 The Crime Machine - From the website: “New York City cops are in a fight against their own police department. They say it’s under the control of a broken computer system that punishes cops who refuse to engage in racist, corrupt policing. The story of their fight, and the story of the grouchy idealist who originally built the machine they’re fighting.” I really love this two-part episode and it raises so many questions about so many things!