Partnerships, Internships and/or job shadowing

Does anyone have experience setting up partnerships, internships, or job shadowing between their school and some of the local businesses? I recently heard about the “Step Up” program that is run through Minneapolis Achieves and it got me thinking that we do not take nearly enough advantage of the local businesses and corporate headquarters around the Twin Cities. I know that as part of the Minnesota state statutes all students are required to have a “plan” around several key elements regarding what they will do after high school graduation, and part of the required plan must include “experiential learning opportunities.” I think that this would be a great opportunity for many of our students to job shadow or even complete summer internships. After talking with some of my students the other day I realize that they have zero knowledge of what certain jobs actually involve or what opportunities are available. (One of my students was telling me that he plans to be a plumber because the job doesn’t require math and all he has to do is go to people’s houses and plunge toilets.)
Many of my students have expressed to me that they have no plans to attend college or a technical program and yet they continually talk about how much money they can make at job x, although they know nothing about the job or what training is actually required. How can we foster a program that will allow our students the time and ability to thoroughly explore career options and to talk with professionals in those fields and/or see what the job actually entails?

1 Like

We should get you connected with the work coordinators group in our district. I know of some from the transition program that you could connect with but give me a bit and I will email you some contact people.

Connecting with a work coordinator is a great idea. Would a career interest inventory such as the ONET interest inventory be at all helpful for your students? I like ONET because it breaks careers down by level of education needed, from GED through graduate studies. https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip

1 Like

@RobSchoch I agree that you should start by getting connected with work coordinators. We have two work coordinators at WEC (Tammy Mezzenga & Jeremy Shibley) that could help steer you in different directions. They each have many students on their work caseloads who are working jobs outside of school, sometimes during the school day, and also creating partnerships with local businesses so our students can get experience by trying out different jobs for a day/week.

1 Like