New Google Sites

I believe this conversation started prior to the forum switch by @Scott_Swanson . . .

Is anyone using the new version of Google Sites? I have been working with a staff on their site and I am impressed. I like cleaner experience for the creator and consumer. Any thoughts out there?

I started just playing with it a bit. One of the NECA teachers is interested in doing student web sites / portfolios next semester so we are currently looking for a good template.

2 Likes

I haven’t checked it out yet, but this is a good reminder to do so. I have a couple of smaller sites I’d like to make but don’t want to do a full WordPress install for them.

1 Like

WEC’s Innovation Coach @hmcushing has taken our staff page, that we use for keeping staff up-to-date, and converted it into the new Google Sites. It works really slick and is mobile friendly too.

@BenDrewelow I think the idea of using these for student portfolios is a great idea!

I think the biggest thing is that there is a very low learning curve as the new sites use HTML5 which is all drag & drop versus actually typing in HTML code.

2 Likes

I think the new google sites is very user friendly and more visually pleasing. It doesn’t have all the capabilities of Wordpress, but I think it will continue to improve and has enough capabilities for staff sites or student projects.

1 Like

I have been using both the “old” and “new” google sites in my STEM class as a way for the students to demonstrate what they learned from each project. My students actually had a big learning curve going from the old sites to the new and at first they disliked it. (I mean really, who likes change when you’ve mastered something?) Overall the new google sites is super intuitive, user friendly and easy to incorporate into our classes either for teacher directed pages or student directed pages. I must say that the students do get a kick out of knowing that they created a webpage and that they can publish it for the world to see if they so choose.

1 Like