CPR and First Aid

As part of my innovation work I have been trying to get a group or entity to come to the Gateway to college program and train our students in CPR and basic first aid. Last year we had an incident in which a student had a seizure in class and thankfully the situation turned out okay. As a result, many students expressed anxiety over the situation for several days because they had no idea what to do and they realized that if it had happened somewhere outside of school there would be no teacher there to handle the situation.

Long story short, I reached out to several organizations via email and received next to nothing in terms of responses. I am looking for someone to come and give CPR and first aid lessons to our students either for free or for a nominal cost. This doesn’t need to be an official certification class, rather just an informative session so that students feel more aware of their options and to give them some idea of what to do in case of an emergency. I was hoping that someone on here would have some insights/resources or known instructors that I could contact.

1 Like

Sorry - no resources come to mind immediately. I wonder though if this might be a good problem for the students to solve, rather than us? Maybe it’s a great opportunity for PBL?

When I taught at Armstrong, there was a mini-class in CPR that I believe all students took.

And in a completely unrelated note, in bumped into this page on Do Something’s site talking about this very subject.

Thanks Mike! Having the students develop the connections, set-up, and figure out the funding, and schedule the class(es) might make a great PBL project. I’ll talk to the other teachers at my school and see what they think! I took a CPR/first aid class a few weeks ago and we discussed how if you were going to have an emergency then try to do it in Washington state because they offer and have the highest population with CPR and first aid training. Statistically more people survive cardiac and other trauma in that state as a result.

I was talking with a friend last night who is a doctor. He didn’t know of any outreach options at the hospital where he is affiliated, but he did share this:

Minnesota Medical Training Services

I’m not sure on the pricing, but they do say they provide off-site training for groups.

At WBL there was a staff member who needed to teach someone to keep their trainer certification and so we offered it to ALC students. I wonder if there is a way to find out if there are any trainers employed by the district.

Hi Rob,
Have you talked to Paul about this? I believe he could chat with HTC’s dean about this and we could make it happen. HTC has an EMT certification, so this should be doable.

2 Likes

I’ve had training from Dan Schwabe- one of the most memorable training I’ve ever had!

Schwabe’s page

1 Like

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the advice! I was talking to some of the other teachers at Gateway and we think that this would be a great small project to have some students tackle per Mike’s suggestion. (A real world problem with positive measurable results for our school community.) I will talk with Paul and see how he could facilitate the interaction between the students and HTC’s dean.

I can make myself available to teach or train others to teach a “Friends and Family CPR class”

–for those who don’t know I am certified EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) and Fire Fighter. for the past 16 1/2 years.

5 Likes