Check out Rewordify

I recently learned about this really cool free web tool and wanted to share it here. Rewordify takes text that you input and identifies difficult to read words and phrases. It produces a “rewordified” or simplified text, and that’s really just the beginning of what you can then do with the text.

Here’s an example of a news story and the “Rewordified” version that I made. I’m sure educators can think of a variety of ways this can be useful. I’m just exploring the tool now (check out what comes up if you click the “Print/Learning Activities” button from that rewordified article). There’s a lot you can do with it!

Is anyone familiar with this or using it already? I’d love to hear some use case examples or even your first impressions after checking it out.

Yes! I use it, and present on it for supporting students, EL students and helping teachers create vocab lists.

I use it in my ELA 12 course. Frankenstein is already pre-loaded, as are all kinds of public domain lit and public docs.

I also suggest that students use it as they can just copy/paste text directly into it without an account.

This is a very useful resource for all students! I especially like that you can print the text with the original vocabulary word in the large text with a definition on the side.

A resource similar to this but specifically with news articles is Newsela. This resource allows you to change the reading level of texts but does not have the definitions of more challenging academic words. Using them together may be a great way to help our students access grade-level academic texts with success.