Captioning Videos

I haven’t been all that good at captioning videos in the past. I’m trying to be more diligent about it and have been exploring some resources.

YouTube has an auto-captioning service for public videos, which can go a long way to speeding up the process. However, I’ve found that it still takes me a while to clean up what that produces. Whether it’s a lack of punctuation, or missed words, I find myself having to listen through and edit the captions, which ends up still taking more time than I’d like.

Recently, however, Scott Wright mentioned Rev.com, which is a captioning service that charges $1 per minute for captions. Even better, you can link your YouTube account, which makes the whole process incredibly easy.

I just tested the service with 30 videos from my Google Mojo course. The results are excellent. The whole thing cost $53. Doing this on my own would have been several hours work, even if I’m just editing YouTube’s auto-captioning.

I’m curious what others do, and if there are better ways to do this.

1 Like

I have used this service many times in the course of my work and they get those files back to you within a day or two. I wouldn’t waste my time with anything else. It’s good to be able to do yourself, but ultimately, it’s just not worth your time.

1 Like

All credit goes to @Jon_Fila for pointing me to this resource to assist a PLC project for ASL interpreters at NWTC and hopefully district-wide.

1 Like

With the help of @djvandenboom, I revisited the auto-captioning that is available on YouTube, to see how that compares with Rev.com. I remembered using the auto-captioning previously, but that it still took quite a bit of time to go through the video and adjust punctuation and correct errors. I was curious if it has improved since the last time I tried it.

I tried auto-captioning again on a video that I made a while back and my results were the same as before. It still takes quite a bit of time to go through and fix the captioning results.

So yeah, I’m still leaning toward using Rev.com going forward.