Breakout Edu

Has anyone heard of or done anything with BreakoutEdu?

Its kind of like an escape room, except you are trying to get into a locked box.

They can be applied to all ages, levels and subjects.

I think its a really neat “head fake” in education.

My wife and I are making a couple and were wondering if anyone else has done it.

1 Like

This looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

Here’s the welcome page on their site, in case it makes it easier to explore.

It looks quite polished. I’m interested to explore more.

Pricing is $125 for a kit that allows you to set up 250 different BreakOut experiences. I’d think you’d need more than one kit for a class to get the full effect, although collaborative solving must be part of the experience.

We have been too their site and are in the process of collecting the stuff to make our own sets. We did a simple one at home with our kindergartner and he loved it and wants to do more, its a great example of gamification in education.

Mike I am interested in exploring more with you.

Also they have apps for making setup time between sessions faster, which is needed in shorter time block settings.

1 Like

Excellent! That’s fantastic that you’ve tried it with your son.

Are they geared for a range of ages, or do the challenges skew more toward elementary level?

Do you have a sense for how many kids is the best group size for one kit? (I bet this info is on the site but I’ve only skimmed through it as of yet.)

From what we have seen you can make the puzzles as complex as you want especially when you incorporate letter locks and story lines.

and for the number of people I think depends on the number of puzzles and how well they work together.

It is possible to to have multiple puzzles and riddles needed solved to unlock a single lock.

we are going to work on a MCA math practice lesson for 5 grade this weekend. and I want to try and make/adapt one for science or history that is none math based

This sounds really cool! My friends and I did a puzzle room a few months back and I found that it was probably the most fun and challenging thing that I have ever participated in. I think getting started on this would take some serious thought and work but I think that it would totally be worth the effort. I could really see some of our students getting into this and it gives them a reason to learn or research the course content.

I completed my first Breakout, It was well received by the students and staff. They were able to complete it!!

I had a lot of fun watching them figure it out by working together. It was also neat to see theirs excitement of accomplishment when they solved a step and when they got the box open.

I did learn a couple lessons on facilitating and I am excited to setup another one

1 Like

Awesome!

Did you buy a kit from them or make your own?

We made 2 sets of our own. Buying locks from Amazon, Home Depot and Menards. The cases we got ones from Ax Man and the Dollar store. After seeing the success of them I see the value in buying a pre-made kit. When you buy theirs you get support and the lessons others have made would need to be altered less. For example the letter lock may have different word possibilities, and the directional lock they have is much easier to use.

We are still keeping our eyes open for new and interesting boxes and locks to make it interesting and engaging. I have a lock that is what I believe to be Chinese that I got from a discount website. Its hard to duplicate that for someone else but still could be fun for my set. Also I already had owned a fun collection of military surplus wooden ammo boxes. That could be used to add to the theme of it.

After setting one up myself from scratch, my next step will be to try and work with a teacher and make it part of a lesson. We took one from the site for my wife’s classroom. We learned with those ones that not all of them are created and laid out equally. So to set it up we had to go through it all and figure out and decipher all of the clues and with out an setup video or an answer key it took longer then we first thought.

She thought it was really neat to see some of her students that were fully engaged that have not been on other activities, and when I saw the excitement of a student see a number and figure out that number was a combination to a lock, and the pride that they saw it. Made it well worth the time it took to set it up.

This sounds awesome. Any chance you could share a photo of your boxes?

Yes, I will take some pics and share them later today.

1 Like

After talking to Sam the other day I wrote to the Masterlock company in order to inquire about a sample or a demo set of their locks. I haven’t heard anything yet, but I’m hoping that they would be interested in a sample donation. I did notice that Masterlock sells all of the types of locks necessary to make these breakout boxes a reality.

I love this idea but I’m quite the cheapskate and I just don’t want to pay for the breakout box kits. I figure that if we can sort out the lock situation then we can pretty much make anything work for less than the cost of a premade kit. I did sign up and can now access the lesson plans and materials; however, I don’t know if there is more available if you buy one of their kits.

1 Like

Nice! Great idea to contact Masterlock. I’d be curious to hear what they say.

As much as I’d like to buy Breakout’s stuff, I tend to agree that for places on a budget, the concept is the most important element here. We can build off the concept to make our own stuff.

For planning purposes on these breakout edu boxes, I have a couple of questions. Does anyone know how to create google forms that would allow the students to input an answer and if it is not correct then it would give them feedback saying so? I know how to do it with multiple choice questions; however you can just game the system and answer the question multiple times until you get the correct answer. Would google forms be appropriate for this or does anyone know of a better method?

I’d be inclined to use a word entry type of field rather than a multiple choice. They’d be easy to game the system, as you mention.

I’m not sure if you can put a fork in a Google form based on a text answer though. My guess is that you could if you use a script, which should be pretty easy to write.

We found a list of resources that might help with this.

Nice! Let me know what you figure out and share the resources if you could. I spent some time looking into it yesterday but most of the information that I found was based on an older version of google forms and I couldn’t reconcile the old with the new.

Wow, I’m just reading this thread and it sounds very cool. I’d love to try and incorporate this into math classes at NECA at some point.

I am not sure if you got my reply, I would love to stop to do a show and tell with my kit.

I can even try and help you do one with your class.

Sam, that would be great! I will email you and we can set something up.