The Case for the Rebel

I’ve been thinking a lot about how we could better accommodate different types of personalities in our schools, and this article gets at a lot of the topics. I thought others here might enjoy it as well:

The Case for the Rebel

I love this article and the point it makes. Having just completed PCM/PEM trainer’s training, I am especially cognizant of the strengths different personality types bring to groups. We had a great discussion about Rebels and the strengths they can offer, yet school systems traditionally shut down their “emotive” communication styles. Even initiatives that 287 has embraced, such as PBIS, do not support the communication and psychological needs of our rebel students. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mike, I’ve been trying to share some of these things with my son’s school.

I love this. This is one of the reasons I have consciously chosen the settings I have. Nothing good happens when everyone just does what they’re told.

This is a great read. Thanks for sharing. Here’s a quote that struck me:

“What tends to be expected of students in schools is the opposite of what many people admire in adults.”

I ended up in a few other places after that…

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/11/08/449169531/class-clown-or-gifted-student-its-a-matter-of-perspective

A big part of the issue is that it’s hard for teachers to have time on the edges to do just about anything. If you teach in a traditional setting with a traditional methodology and a traditional schedule, the more you can keep everyone together doing the same thing at the same time, the more efficient you are.

The further you get away from that, whether it’s trying to accommodate a learner with unique challenges, or helping a kid get caught up who’s behind, or working with someone who presents management challenges, the more unmanageable your work becomes.

Currently, there is still great pressure on teachers to keep everyone together.

I totally concur with what Mike has to say. When I was teaching in California most of my classes contained 40+ students. Between grading and setting up labs I was spending countless hours outside of the classroom just keeping my head above water.

Over forty students to a class seems like only a problem in a place like California, however both Minneapolis and St. Paul public schools face $28 and $27 million dollar gaps in funding next year and one of the easiest ways to reduce your budget is to cut teachers and increase class sizes. In fact, 27 out of the 40 metropolitan member districts face a budget shortage as reported by the Star Tribune on May 6th. I wouldn’t be surprised to see our district enrollment grow over the next two years as more of the “rebels” aren’t able to cut it in these huge classes where everyone receives the exact same instruction with the exact same assessments.