Making Khan Academy Style Videos

Hi all,

I was interested in making ‘Chalk Talk’ type of videos that are used in Khan Academy and did a little digging and thought I would share what I found out.

Here’s a little video demonstrating the programs/how to use

Take a look if you are interested and let me know how you might use this in your class and/or any other strategies you have used!

Software links:
screencast-o-matic
smoothdraw
epic pen

Tablet
amazon link to tablets $25-50

I have a Wacom Bamboo Onebut it appears to be discontinued.

Niiice!

1. Could you provide the links to the hardware/software you are using. I specifically would like to know the model of Wacom that you are using.

2. Not only will I be sharing this with teachers but I think this would be perfect for the 287 Tech Tips Blog

THANK YOU!!!

I can’t say enough about Screencast-o-matic. See if you can get a supervisor to pay for you to get the pro version, it’s cheap and well worth it for the editing features.

I second this. Pro version is definitely the way to go. I paid for my own but I am good to go with Pro until Nov. 2020. $30 for a four year subscription (3 years + 1 free). However, I definitely would check to see if your supervisor can pay for it.

Add rev.com for captioning and you are set! (If you are looking into using this service, connect with Jon F. or myself for ways to have this paid for)

Huge thanks to @Jon_Fila Jon for directing me to both resources over the years.

SInce you brought up Rev.com, let me add one more thing…

If you’re (not Scott, I know you know this :wink: ) looking to make your videos accessible, don’t say things like, “Now, if you’ll look over here…” or “on the left you will see…

Not very helpful to someone who is blind. Make your descriptions descriptive about the name of what you are clicking on so they can find it via the alt text or description. Don’t refer to the colors on the screen, stuff like that. Try watching one of your videos with your eyes closed some time to see if you just naturally insert descriptive language like this.

Yea, that is something I definitely do. Now that I have starting making videos more regularly I have also noticed how much work I need on making my language use both accurate and concise (generally speaking). I think it is one of those strategies that may be employed to help one population but in reality helps all learners.

I am curious about a few things:

1. How would you rate rev.com compared to the automatic speech-to-text captioning provided by screencast-o-matic? Is it worth the extra money? (I also paid for the pro version of screencast-o-matic since it was so affordable and I thought I might use it for personal projects)

2. How exactly does the alt text work within moodle? Does the browser read the alt text aloud if a user hovers over a picture? I haven’t used that feature because I didn’t realize what it did.

3. Is there a resource you could share (I am sure there is) about how to create accessible online content?

Thanks!

I would say that it is worth the money if you have a video that is more than a couple minutes. They charge $1/minute of video. They give you the file back within a day or two.

Alt text is that HTML code that sits on top of an image, link, style, media player, etc. Moodle encourages/prompts users to include it when they add that type of content for the purposes of accessibility. It’s what screenreaders and other accessibility tools identify or ignore (for instance, if you have an image that is decorative, you don’t need to identify it and you want screenreaders to skip it so it gets what’s called a null tag alt=""

And yes, it would read the descriptive text to the users.

We do, before we recently switched over to an Instructional Design method of PD Development, we made this PD Writing Course. I will email you the enrollment key if you want to check it out. There is a section there about accessibility. If any other 287 employee wants the key let me know. Also, if you’re interested in doing more Instructional Design work, you’ll need to view all this stuff :wink: