EdReady Stuff

I thought I’d start a fresh thread for those interested in EdReady. We’re in our 2nd year of deployment at NECA and have experienced many successes. One of our special education students made an 8-point gain on her MAP math score from spring to fall (spring to fall!) on account of all the hard work she put in with EdReady during summer academy.

I’m told there is some exciting ELA content up and running now, too. I’m excited to see where this goes in our ALCs and beyond!

What about a staff development day around using EdReady? I know I was blown away by the program and asked for access but I honestly haven’t sat down on my own to learn all the ins and outs. If our staff was trained around using EdReady think that it could become an invaluable resource in the district.

I’ve been doing some initial training in my building with special education teachers. For me it’s been mostly a learn-by-doing kind of thing. By letting a few students run freely with it you’ll see ways it can work and not work. My students have been the best teachers, just by watching them use it organically and my co-teacher and I offering our own tutoring & support when students are stuck. There are so many competing interests for staff development days — but Rob I would be happy to help get you rolling with EdReady at some point, let’s just get it on the calendar. I bet Scott W or Jon F would lend some knowledge as well!

To be honest, the biggest challenge up until now was just getting people to look at it. Now that it seems like we’re getting some steam, it might be time to see what kind of user group we can develop. Let me check with Jon Voss about what we can do about this and if there are any resources to get some more people to the NROC member meeting.

In the meantime, there are lots of resources at http://nrocnetwork.org/resources/

They have getting started materials, free webinars monthly and a discussion forum for users. If you’d like to participate in any of these and are having trouble finding them let me know.

I am in the process of creating textbook style resources with the available content from NROC and the contributed content from the NROC community.

I picked the trig specific lessons for physics so I knew my college prep students could do vectors in 2 dimensions

The initial assessment scope of the default EdReady tool is quite comprehensive, in most cases you’ll want to break it up even if that means taking it over multiple class periods. It’s up to you. The assessment will always allow students to pick up where they left off.

You may already be aware, but it's worth noting that there are some pre-loaded assessments we can set up for you quickly if you don't want to take the time to customize each one.

Option 1: Use this handout to determine your own topics you'd like to assess.

Option 2: Use one from this spreadsheet that already identifies various readiness topics.

Option 3: Request an ACT/Accuplacer Prep assessment. We also have Algebra I assessments that contain a course's worth of material.

Option 4: Select an assessment identified from one of the identified career pathways here.

Yes, I have found that for the big pre-assessments you might need a couple class periods up to a week depending on the student. Some students find it a bit daunting (I encourage use of the “I don’t know” button because that just means they’ll get to work through the item in the study path later) also some students don’t need to be assessed on every prerequisite skill. So I’m starting to use a couple shorter assessments now.

I’m excited about the career pathways assessments!

Jason Violette and I are currently updating the EdReady/Developmental Math master copy to include:

• HTML5 friendly content pathway (this will help with teachers who use it as instructional resources or practice)
  • Standards alignment
  • Workbook and Worksheets (with Instructor guides)
  • Including Algebra I content as separate semester courses.

Once we get this content uploaded we’ll make it more available to those with existing copies and figure out ways to import into your courses.

Once the standards alignment is done for Algebra I we can start making copies, if you’d like one now, let me know so I know if it should be a priority for us or not.

The timing during the day may not be ideal, but NROC is offering a (free) sneak peak of their EdReady English course on Thursday, Nov. 16 from 1-2pm. Register here.

The main course will be released in January 2018.

Are these webinars typically available for download or streaming after the fact? I’d love to check this out with our ELA teacher but I don’t think either of us will be able to do it at that time.

Humm. Not sure. The registration doc doesn’t mention anything, does it? I just took a look at the webpage version of the announcement and it doesn’t mention anything either.

I’m not sure I can attend during that window either.

Yes, all of their webinars are recorded. I can share links later.

Update: English content is now available in EdReady. It’s basically a streamlined version of the Moodle option because it doesn’t really encorporate much of the writing since their tools can’t assess for that and EdReady is largely unfacilitated, but if you’re looking for a tool to assess student college/career/test prep readiness, than this is the way to go.