Comic Books and Equity

The Strategy 2 group has a discussion forum to continue conversations during meetings, but I have been talking about this and think it should be shared beyond just that group:

I’m just happy to be able to share my love of comics in this context. I hope everyone saw the video of the children in Atlanta who found out they were going on a field trip to see Black Panther…

Here is the background and more context. Looks like there are a few GoFundMe pages set up now for different school groups around the country. Here’s an interesting article that nicely sums up some of the goals for the film: Black Panther: An Allegory of the World Wanting Blackness but Not Black People. If anyone is planning to take students, I’d for sure spend some time on this article and having a conversation about it.

Happening on Twitter: #WhatBlackPantherMeansToMe

Most of them are inspiring and uplifting, some highlight the importance of why we still need things like this (even if they don’t mean to).

Also, I brought up Luke Cage and some of the references in the show. This site takes a deeper dive and there are more in the comments section if anyone is interested. The English Curriculum Group had a great conversation on graphic novels that teachers have used in the past that they’ve had students read. I’m sure if there is an issue a teacher wants to address then there is a graphic novel for it.

Thank you for sharing, Jon. I will be following #WhatBlackPantherMeansToMe!

I should also mention that the Luke Cage Netflix series is not school appropriate (language, sexual content, violence), but there may be excerpts or graphic novels you might want to take a look at. I included it because of the deeper context about black heroes in popular culture. I’m writing a post about it for the Equity Blog. It will probably be ready some time next week.

Black Panther Curriculum to be posted on February 16th at 9:00 Eastern.

I’ll be checking it out and letting you know my thoughts.

From my classroom to yours. #Toronto teachers, if
you’re seeing #BlackPanther w/ your students, this FREE #medialiteracy guide
is for you. Start w/ genre as cultural studies; movie lesson plan coming Feb.16 https://t.co/QEhGvLDsHV @metromorning @mattgallowaycbc @DisneyStudiosCA pic.twitter.com/FsrOnsKROP

— Anthony Perrotta
(@aperrottatweets) February 12, 2018

I have permission from the author to include this in our OER resources, but now I’m skeptical about how much will be useful because of the previous materials created by this author that has a religious aspect to it. I’ll reserve judgement and let you know what happens with it on Friday.

Okay, here’s what I did with it, I broke it up into student activities, added some of our own from MPCC that I rewrote to suit the topic and then did the whole Google Drive/LMS thing with it.
http://courses.oermn.org/course/view.php?id=267

Let me know if you want a copy. Spread the word.