Character report card

After our discussion during the latest innovation meeting several colleagues asked to see the character report card that we are attempting to use school-wide at the Gateway to College Program. This report card is meant to measure a students “essential skills” for success both in school and beyond the classroom. Right now this is just version #2 based on what I learned from the KIPP schools seven character strengths and the character report cards that they use.

Each teacher, EA, or support staff anonymously rates the student so that they cannot determine who gave them what score. This is mean to avoid a student feeling like they are being singled out by a person whom they feel doesn’t like them. The students also rate themselves and then their scores will be manually entered to avoid bias from seeing the staff reviews. The report cards will be reviewed with the students before they are sent home and students will have a chance to openly discuss how they feel about the results. We will try to incorporate the skills into our lesson plans on a daily basis so that students can see what essential skills are meant to be used in a particular lesson.

I am definitely open to suggestions and would appreciate any feedback that might make this report card better.

Thanks for posting this, Rob! This is exciting stuff, and I’d be interested to hear how this unfolds.

In particular, I’d love to hear about student responses to the system. Do they like/dislike it? Value it? Seem engaged with it? I’d be curious to hear if staff feels like it results in behavioral changes and/or improvements as well.

We use a “Essential School Checklist” that was developed to help assess whether our students are ready to move back to their home school and graduate from our program. The checklist has about18 items and the students can rank themselves on a 1 to 5 and we also use it to create quarterly goals for them to reflect on. One of our teachers did the work of researching the skills that colleges and high school deem necessary for success in the classroom and we refined it over time.

The students seem to take it seriously and are often very honest about where they stand in each of the categories. Any suggestions or comments would be very welcome about how to improve or use this tool!

I am a big fan of this idea and I wonder if these tools can serve as a sort of bridge towards an SBG system in the future. I’ll be bringing these ideas to our NECA team in the future to see how we might incorporate this into our work, or re-frame some of our work this way. Thanks for the shares, Jake and Rob!

One of the reasons why I like the intent behind these systems is that it always strikes me how inefficiently and/or poorly kids study. It always seemed such a shame to not teach kids how to learn, no matter what subject we’re teaching.

Linda Oberg, our SEL Coordinator, also brought this goal setting tool to our attention last year and I use it with these report cards.

It is called WOOP. Wish, Outcome, Obstacle and Plan

It helps break apart the goal setting process and the kids actually respond fairly positively to using it. Any way I thought I would share it as well.

Heh, that WOOP looks pretty useful. It reminds me a lot of the Stanford research on increasing course completion.

I just read an article on Medium re: badging 21st century skills. It’s a little different tack on tracking progress, but I wonder if it might be a useful tool. 21st Century Skills Badging: A Bridge from Education to the Workforce

The resources at https://www.newworldofwork.org/ look robust. I hope you all find this resource useful!